Monday, April 28, 2008

My first gilding!


I just sent an email to Georgia Angelopoulos, writing ‘I WANT MORE GOLD!’ I’m not usually so demanding(!), but I just completed the homework for Georgia’s class, and my first semi-successful attempt at gilding. I’m hooked. Georgia had been asking if we wanted her to order some gold leaf for us... and, until I finished this piece, I wasn’t that keen on it... but now, I DO want more! More, so I can continue to learn how to use it — it’s fickle material — and more so I can re-do this piece properly. For now, it stands, full of ‘lessons learned’ as my first piece of gilding... and though I clearly have a lot to learn about gilding, the overall ‘feel’ of the piece is really enhanced by the gold.

Thanks, Georgia, for bringing out the traditionalist in me! (I wasn’t sure there was one!) Next, of course, there will be the challenge of learning how to photograph gilded work...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just checked your website and I must say I am so impressed with your work. You should do more gilding, because I do a lot of gilding and the end results can be impressive. Check my metal leaf gallery where I did chinese calligraphy on gold leaf, it looks pretty impressive. My website is www.minimalmagic.co.uk

Anonymous said...

Alice,
It is a cold night in São Paulo, Brazil. I'm seeing your bolg and I can tell you: THX for all the writing!
I've just started a Calligraphy course and you are one of my inspiration. As soon as I have works I'll send you.
Once again THX, and sorry for my poor english
André Costa

Alice Young said...

Minimalmagic, after completing this one small piece, I do have respect for the patience and skill that your work takes. I love that you are using a traditional technique in a new way. Stunning work!

Alice Young said...

Ah, André, I love comments such as yours. I get such enjoyment (and challenge, and frustration!) from my study of calligraphy, that I love to hear others are taking it up... look forward to seeing your work!

Dave Ogden said...

I love this piece...

and the entire blog is very beautiful.